SAFE for Health Institutions Peer Review
A peer-supported, appreciative inquiry into a health institution’s social accountability.
The Peer Review process uses the SAFE for Health Institutions Evaluation Tool’s framework of social accountability standards to appreciately inquire and identify activites that are equity-oriented, focused on local population health and social needs and that can be linked to a social accountability health policy strategy.
The Peer Review Process
The Peer Review is an appreciative inquiry that focuses on the (re)discovery of how a health institution is guided by social accountability.
It inquires about activities that are equity-oriented and focused on the heatlh and social needs of those the institution serves along with the structures and processes that would support a social accountability health policy strategy.
A four-member team (one coordinator and three peer reviewers) collects data about the health institution through key informant interviews and a document review. This information is then thematically analyzed, coded to align with the framework of social accountability standards in the SAFE for Health Institutions Evaluation Tool’s and summarized in a final report presenting a narrative of the institution’s social accountability.
1. Initial Contact
- Review of the SAFE for Health Institutions Evaluation Tool and Peer Review
- Establish organizational readiness (recruitment of key informants and identification of institutional documents)
2. Data Collection, Oragnization and Storage
- Key informant interviews
- Collection of institutional documents
- Organization of data following the READ approach
- Storage of data on an institutional electronic database
3. Peer Review (Data Analysis)
- Data is analyzed for evidence of social accountability and linked to the SAFE for Health Institutions Evaluation Tool’s standards
4. SAFE for Health Institutions Narrative Report
- Report is drafted by the Peer Review Team
- Health institution validates their report
- A comprehensive, organized database of social accountability activities is given to the health institution
5. Developmental Evaluations
- Feedback is captured from all those invovled in the Peer Review for continual improvements for the SAFE for Health Institutions Evaluation Tool and Peer Review
- Appreciative inquiry into the activities of a health institution.
- Fosters a collaborative environment, networking and knowledge sharing.
- Experienced peer review team helps navigate, what can be, novel concepts.
- Maintenance of an institutional social accountability knowledge database.
- Pre-packaged process already approved by research ethics review board.
If you would like to learn more about the SAFE for Health Institutions Peer Review or to request a copy of our manual please contact us at email@example.com.